Children are not merely young adults, or adults in waiting – due to their maturity, life experiences, emotional makeup, and unique perspective on life, the difficulties that they sometimes face can be very different to those that adults encounter.
That text is taken from our website, and underpins our approach to child therapy. As a result of this child psychology, when we are helping children using counselling, we need to pay very special attention to their needs.
Our highly trained and experienced child psychologists are trained to work with children, and we recognise their special place in the world. We use our expertise to recognise and understand the cause of the difficulties before working with the child – either individually or with their family – to move forwards positively.
You may be wondering what you can expect from us, if you decide on our child counselling service. Above all, and mindful of the facts above, our overriding message is one of safety and sensitivity. The child will feel safe to discuss their difficulties with us in a sensitive manner, when they are ready. There are some underpinning considerations:
- the environment has to be right, so that the child feels safe to talk as openly as they feel that they can. A comfortable, quiet, peaceful room, and sufficient uninterrupted time
- listen attentively. Effective seating arrangements, body language, eye contact, and a sympathetic manner all promote empathy which will be important in making progress
- use open questions to gauge deeper feelings and thoughts
- be affirming: “I have respect for your opinions and your view of the world at this present time”
- give advice with caution: children of different ages need different levels of guidance and direct advice
The counselling and therapy that our psychologists provide for children can take many forms – which technique(s) we use will vary depending on the child and their individual circumstances. We tailor all of our child counselling treatments for maximum effectiveness, our aim being to help the child, and their family, come to terms with their difficulties and help them to make changes and at the same time make progress.
Child counselling – we are here to help you
All Vivamus Psychologists are registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) and hold a practising certificate through the British Psychological Society (BPS) and are bound by the Society’s code of conduct and ethical principles.
If you would like to discuss anything that you’ve read in this article in greater detail, would like additional information, find out how we can help you, or arrange a consultation, please contact us:
by phone 07797 952 950
or email email@example.com
or via our contact page Child psychology
Your complete confidentiality will of course be respected at all times.
In a 2014 survey by the BACP, 69% of people think the world would be a better place if people talked about their feelings more!